Red Tea Vanilla Quinoa
- 1 3/4 cups (425 mL) - water
- 6 bags - Tetley Red Tea (Rooibos) Vanilla
- 1 cup (250 mL) - quinoa
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) - salt
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) - olive oil
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) - apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp (10 mL) - honey
- 1 tsp (5 mL) - grainy mustard
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) - freshly ground pepper
- 1 - Granny Smith apple, cored and finely chopped
- 1 - rib celery, finely chopped
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) - finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) - chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) - dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) - crumbled goat cheese
- Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Cooking time: 35 minutes
- Total time: 45 minutes
- Serves: 4
- Difficulty: Easy
Serve as a warm side dish or as a cold salad, either way the quinoa is flavourful and fragrant because it’s cooked in red tea instead of plain water. tossed in a honey-lemon tea dressing for a satisfying main dish.
- Pour the water into saucepan; bring to a boil.
- Add tea bags and remove from heat.
- Steep, covered, for 5 minutes.
- Squeeze the tea bags to release as much liquid as possible; discard.
- Stir in quinoa and salt.
- Bring to a simmer.
- Reduce heat to low.
- Cook, covered for 15 to 18 minutes or until quinoa is tender and has absorbed all the liquid.
- Let it stand, covered for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk oil with vinegar, honey, mustard and pepper in large bowl until combined.
- Stir in apple, celery, shallot and parsley.
- Fluff quinoa with fork and toss with apple mixture.
- Stir in pecans and cranberries.
- Divide among 4 plates.
- Sprinkle with goat cheese.
- Serve warm or cold.
Substitute crumbled feta cheese for the goat cheese if desired.
*Per serving: 440 calories, 23 g fat, 5 mg cholesterol, 277 mg sodium, 48 g carbohydrates, 5.5 g fibre, 16 g sugar, 8 g protein.
Try It Now!