- 2 bags - Tetley Orange Pekoe Tea
- 3 cups (750 mL) - boiling water
- 3 lb (1.5 kg) - beef brisket
- 2 tsp (10 mL) - ground cumin
- 2 tsp (10 mL) - smoked paprika
- 2 tsp (10 mL) - ground coriander
- 1 tsp (5 mL) - each salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) - vegetable oil
- 2 - onions, sliced
- 3 - cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) - tomato paste
- 1 - chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, chopped
- 2 tsp (10 mL) - adobo sauce
- 2 cups (500 mL)- beef broth
- 1 cup (250 mL) - tomato passata
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) - brown sugar
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) - Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) - cider vinegar
- Preparation time: 30 minutes
- Cook time: 3 hours & 30 min
- Total time: 4 hours
- Difficulty: Easy
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Steep tea bags in boiling water for 3 or 4 minutes; remove bags and set aside.
- Rub brisket with cumin, paprika, coriander, salt and pepper.
- In Dutch oven, heat half of the oil over medium-high heat; sear brisket for 8 to 10 minutes or until browned all over.
- Transfer to plate.
- Add remaining oil to Dutch oven; sauté onions and garlic for 4 to 6 minutes or until softened.
- Add tomato paste, chipotle pepper and adobo sauce; cook for 1 minute.
- Add broth and reserved tea; bring to boil. Stir in tomato passata, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce and vinegar.
- Return brisket to Dutch oven.
- Cover and roast in oven for 3 to 3 1/2 hours or until fork-tender.
- Transfer brisket to cutting board; let stand for 5 minutes.
- Slice across the grain and serve with sauce.
Try It Now!