Orange Pekoe Roast Chicken
- 1 - navel orange
- 6 - cloves garlic, divided
- 1 bag - Tetley Orange Pekoe Tea
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) - brown sugar
- 1 tsp (5 mL) - dried thyme leaves
- 1 tsp (5 mL) - each salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) - olive oil, divided
- 1 - whole chicken, about 3 1/2 lb (1.75 kg)
- Preparation time: 15 minutes
- Cook time: 1 hour & 30 minutes
- Total time: 1 hour & 45 minutes
- Difficulty: Easy
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°F).
- Finely grate enough zest from the orange to measure 1 tbsp (15 mL); set aside.
- Quarter the orange; set aside.
- Mince 2 garlic cloves.
- Open the tea bag and place the leaves in a small bowl.
- Stir in the reserved orange zest and minced garlic, the brown sugar, thyme, pepper and salt.
- Stir in 2 tbsp (30 mL) oil to form a paste.
- Rinse the chicken under cold, running water and pat dry, inside and out.
- Starting from the neck, very carefully ease your fingers under the skin.
- Working on each side of the chicken, gently separate the skin from the breasts and thighs, without breaking it.
- Carefully spread the rub mixture under the skin to cover as much of the meat as possible.
- Place the reserved orange quarters and remaining garlic cloves in the cavity of the chicken.
- Tie the legs together with kitchen twine; tuck the wings under the back.
- Place, breast side up, on rack in a large roasting pan.
- Rub the remaining oil all over chicken.
- Roast for 1 1/2 hours or until an instant read thermometer inserted in the thigh registers 185°F (85°C).
- Transfer the chicken to a platter and tent with foil.
- Let it stand for 10 minutes before carving.
- Makes 6 servings.
Serve delicious Tetley orange gravy
- Bring 2 cups (500 mL) sodium-reduced chicken broth to a boil and removed from heat; add a Tetley Orange Pekoe tea bag and steep for 5 minutes.
- Set the roasting pan on the stovetop over medium heat.
- Once the drippings are bubbling, sprinkle 2 tbsp (30 mL) flour over the pan and whisk in the broth until smooth.
- Cook and stir, until thickened; strain (if desired).
- Stir in 1/4 cup (50 mL) fresh orange juice before serving.
*Per serving (1/6th recipe without gravy): 360 calories, 24 g fat, 6 g saturated fat, 98 mg cholesterol, 481 mg sodium, 3 g carbohydrates, 0 g fibre, 2 g sugars, 31 g protein. Excellent source of niacin. Good source of vitamin B12 and zinc.
Try It Now!