- 2 1/2 cups (625 mL) - 2% milk
- 2 bags - Tetley Orange Pekoe Tea
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) - granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) - cornstarch
- 1 - egg yolk, beaten
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) - butter
- 2 tsp (10 mL) - vanilla extract
- Lightly sweetened whipped cream
- Preparation time: 12 minutes
- Difficulty: Medium
- Combine 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) milk and tea bags in a saucepan and set over medium heat.
- Heat and stir, for 5 minutes or until steaming and fragrant; squeeze and discard the tea bags.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low.
- Meanwhile, blend the remaining milk with the sugar and cornstarch.
- Stir into the hot milk.
- Heat and stir, for 5 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Whisk a little of the hot milk mixture into the egg yolk.
- Whisk the egg mixture back into the hot milk.
- Cook and whisk constantly, for 1 to 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Whisk in the butter and vanilla.
- Pour the pudding into 4 teacups.
- Cool to room temperature; transfer to the refrigerator to chill until set.
- Top with whipped cream.
- Makes 4 servings.
- This recipe can be doubled to serve a larger group. Or, use espresso-sized cups for a portion-controlled treat.
- Unsweetened almond milk can be substituted for the cow’s milk. For a vegan option, you can also omit the egg yolk and butter.
- The pudding can be prepared up to 1 day in advance.
*Per serving: 259 calories, 7 g fat, 4 g saturated fat, 71 mg cholesterol, 115 mg sodium, 41 g carbohydrates, 0 g fibre, 33 g sugars, 7 g protein. Excellent source of vitamin D. Good source of calcium.
Try It Now!