- 4 bags - Tetley Chai Tea
- 1 cup (250 mL) - 2% milk
- 4 - eggs
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) - honey or maple syrup (approx.)
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) - vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) - salt
- 8 - slices whole-wheat bread, 1/2-inch (1 cm) thick
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) - canola oil
- Fresh fruit
- Preparation time: 15 minutes
- Total time: 15 minutes
- Difficulty: Easy
Combine the spiced warmth of a mug of Tetley Chai Tea with French toast and you have a winning brunch or weekend breakfast recipe to serve friends and family.
- Cut open 2 tea bags and sprinkle the contents into a shallow bowl; place the other 2 whole tea bags in the same bowl.
- Microwave the milk, on HIGH, for 90 seconds or until scalding; pour into the bowl.
- Steep for 5 minutes; discard whole tea bags.
- Whisk in the eggs, honey, vanilla and salt.
- Set a large, nonstick skillet over medium heat; brush lightly with some of the oil.
- Working in batches, soak the bread in the milk mixture for about 10 to 15 seconds per side and transfer to the skillet.
- Cook for 2 to 3 minutes per side or until golden. (Keep the prepared French toast in a warm oven between batches).
- Serve with fresh fruit and additional honey to taste.
- Makes 8 pieces.
- This recipe is a great way to use up day old bread because it’ll soak up more of the egg mixture, making the French toast even more flavourful.
- Try infusing the milk with other delicious Tetley teas such as Warmth Cinnamon Spice, Rooibos Vanilla or Rooibos Spiced Plum Tea.
- Reduce the fat content of this recipe by using 5 egg whites instead of 4 whole eggs and spraying the pan with nonstick spray instead of brushing with oil.
- Microwave 1/2 cup (125 mL) honey or maple syrup with 1/2 tsp (2 mL) ground cinnamon, on HIGH, until heated through; stir until well combined. Drizzle over toast before serving.
*Per serving (1 piece): 208 calories, 6 g fat, 1 g saturated fat, 95 mg cholesterol, 342 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrates, 3 g fibre, 14 g sugars, 9 g protein. Good source of vitamin D and calcium.
Try It Now!