- 1 tbsp (15 mL) - olive oil
- 2 lb (1 kg) - beef short ribs (about 1-inch/2.5 cm thick)
- 3/4 tsp (4 mL) - each salt and pepper, divided
- 1 - each large onion, carrot and celery stalk, chopped
- 1 tsp (5 mL) - dried thyme leaves
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) - tomato paste
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) - all-purpose flour
- 2 - cloves garlic, minced
- 2 bags - Tetley Orange Pekoe Tea
- 1 1/2 cups - sodium-reduced beef broth (375 mL)
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) - pitted prunes, halved
- 1 - bay leaf
- Mashed potatoes or creamy polenta
- Preparation Time: 15 minutes
- Cook time: 1 hour & 30 minutes
- Total time: 1 hour & 45 minutes
- Difficulty: Medium
- Preheat the oven to 325°F (160°C).
- Heat the oil in an oven-proof Dutch oven or large saucepan set over medium-high heat.
- Season the ribs with 1/4 tsp (1 mL) of the salt and pepper.
- Brown the ribs, in batches, all over.
- Transfer to a plate.
- Reduce the temperature to medium.
- Add the onion, carrot, celery, thyme and remaining salt and pepper.
- Cook, stirring often, for 5 to 7 minutes or until golden.
- Stir in the tomato paste, flour and garlic.
- Cook, stirring constantly for 2 minutes.
- Meanwhile, steep the tea bags in 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) boiling water for 5 minutes.
- Squeeze and discard the bags.
- Gradually stir the tea and beef broth into the vegetable mixture.
- Add the short ribs, along with prunes and bay leaf; cover with foil or an oven-proof lid.
- Transfer to the oven to braise for 45 minutes; uncover and continue to braise for 45 minutes or until meat is very tender and the sauce is thickened.
- Serve over mashed potatoes or creamy polenta.
- Makes 4 servings.
- The short ribs can be made a day ahead. If desired, skim the fat off the top before reheating gently in the oven until warmed through.
- Short ribs make a succulent, robust entrée, but if you prefer a leaner braise, you can use 1 lb (500 g) lean stewing beef instead.
*Per serving (1/4 recipe): 519 calories, 35 g fat, 14 g saturated fat, 69 mg cholesterol, 655 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrates, 3 g fibre, 11 g sugars, 23 g protein. Excellent source of vitamin D and zinc. Good source of iron
Try It Now!